Welcome to Outrun!
Outrun is an Open Source toolset for Enterprise Linux (CentOS, Red Hat, Oracle Linux) that automates the installation and management of Oracle databases.
Outrun is specially pre-configured for automatically deploying an Oracle Database on a Linux server or VM with minimal skills and effort required. It is intended to serve different purposes:
- Database-as-a-Service platform
- Training tool for people learning Oracle
- Performance testing tool (using pre-configured test kits)
The goal is to provide administrators a pre-configured platform on which they can run databases without having to deal with how to install prerequisites, configure memory and system parameters, adding add-on tools and utilities etc. After installing Outrun and database software, you should be good to go.
- Automated Oracle database/clusterware installer
- Network installer (PXE based)
- Bundled in performance test tools (SLOB, Swingbench)
- QDDA (Quick & Dirty Dedupe Analyzer, an analyze tool to report potential deduplication and compression savings)
- Lightmenu (A curses text-user-interface menu system)
The full name "Outrun for Oracle" was inspired by the eighties racing game Out Run and the original primary use case (performance testing).
out·run verb \ˌau̇t-ˈrən\
- : to run or move faster than (someone or something)
- : to be or become more or greater than (something)
Happy racing !